Saturday, March 22, 2008

People Are Strange

"Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today." ~Malcolm X, a.k.a. Malik Shabazz

As time goes by, I interact with so many different kinds of people, and it amazes me.

People are like snowflakes. There are no two exactly alike, yet, each is complex and beautiful.

When I was really little, before I had 13 siblings, I always wanted a friend who was just like me. I was an only child, but I was a social butterfly. Unfortunately, it got me into trouble, because I was always in "grown folks' business."

So, I used to have a make-believe friend that lived on the other side of the world who would think like me, act like me, and look like me. When I got older, I realized that I was seeking a doppelganger, an alter-ego. Well, my mom remarried, had a bunch of kids as did my dad, and my make-believe friend disappeared.

I never stopped seeking a doppelganger. But, I realized that it didn't matter. I recognize the beauty in people as snowflakes. I learn so much about myself and others from my new friendships, and through meeting so many different kinds of people.

"O Mankind, We have created you from male and female, made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the best among you in the sight of God is the one who is pious and loves God much. Verily, God is All-Knowing, All-Aware." ~The Noble Qur'an, Chapter 49, Verse 13

You know, eventually I gave birth to my doppelganger. I'm absolutely amazed by my child. She astounds me everyday, and I'm blessed with the privilege of being her mother. My mother, and all my friends tell me all the time that she is just like her mother. My very own Mini-Me. All I can say to that is, "Be careful what you wish for." :)

My Favorite Lyrics This Week:
People Are Strange
~by The Doors

People are strange
when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly
when you're alone
Women seem wicked
when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven
when you're down

When you're strange
Faces come out in the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange
When you're strange, when you're
Strange

People are strange
when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly
when you're alone
Women seem wicked
when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven
when you're down

When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange
When you're strange, when you're
Strange

When you're strange
Faces come out in the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're
Strange

No comments: